Max Clayton Clowes
firstname.lastname@example.org · +44 (0) 7976 136 097 · mcclowes.com
I am a Product Manager with a diverse software engineering and design background, and experience as a founder of a client-facing business. I've been delivering websites and apps for 10+ years. Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Award winner 2017.
References available upon request. You can see what people have said about me here.
💡 5 problems I've solved
- A federation of 40+ London GP practices were restricted by NHS regulation and struggling with collaboration, communication, and project governance. In 2016, after thorough requirement gathering and a 3-phase build, my team delivered a bespoke private network and project management tool. It was only retired when the NHS rolled out MS Office in 2020.
- Arsenal FC were looking to efficiently record and report match-day injuries. They thought they needed a bespoke data gathering and reporting system; instead, I created a simple workflow using existing free tools, which transformed their process and they still at every home game.
- After being let down by a previous agency, travel-guide startup Cityboard had a barely-functioning iOS-only app, and little remaining runway. Under tight time and budget constraints, my team designed and delivered a beautiful, cross-platform MVP with newly-launched React Native.
- Think-tank The Business of Cities needed a way or aggregating and analyzing indexes for their clients. Through novel use of the Elo rating algorithm, I created a methodology and tool which is "critical to their work", providing insight to cities across the world.
- Traditional, premium butchers Godfreys.co had queues round the block and no online presence. I designed and project-managed a complete rebrand and award-winning eCommerce website that now brings in 30% of their revenue.
Product Manager - Swoop
March 2021 - Ongoing
Managing consumption of loan provider and credit scoring APIs, as well as release of Swoop's own API. Have recently delivered a new sales channel for Swoop, allowing users to find themselves up to £1,000,000 in funding, accessible within 24 hours via our loan providers' APIs.
Software Engineer (FE) - Pollen
December 2019 - March 2021
Developed bookings platform and internal inventory management application. Pioneered best technical and project management practices. Participated in recruitment.
Software Engineer (FE) - Workshare
August 2018 - November 2019
Built legal tech project management & document-signing enterprise web app. Worked with product in roadmap definition against tight resource constraints. Contributed to creation of clean, parsable user experiences, despite large amounts of information and actions.
Product Manager - Codogo
April 2016 - August 2018
Co-founded Codogo, delivering client products through our agency business, whilst developing in-house collaborative document tool Codogo Write. I personally:
- Owned project lifecycle from ideation to delivery of complex web and native apps for from 30+ clients ranging from the NHS to Arsenal FC.
- Pitched, winning awards, clients, and investors, even being flown out to try for Y Combinator with our in-house product.
- Project managed (Agile) and supported the growth of my team.
- Development & Design Intern - Akkroo, 2015
- Design Contractor - Ludifi, 2014
- Design Contractor - 4J Studios, 2013
- UX Designer - Better Brief, 2012 - 2013
- Project manager - Godfreys.co, 2011 - 2012
BSc (Hons) Computer Science, 2:1 - Durham University
2012 - 2016
British Computing Society accredited. Awarded Rising Star of Research.
Dissertation: The use of evolutionary AI in the balancing of competitive multiplayer games
BA Product & Interaction Design - Ravensbourne College of Design, Year 1
2011 - 2012
Foundation Diploma in Art and Design - London College of Communication
2010 - 2011
Graphic Design pathway
High School - City of London School
2003 - 2010
A levels: Physics, Economics, Music
Product: Research, Stakeholder management & engagement, Prioritization & roadmapping, A/B testing, Documentation, Project Management (SuperHi, 2019)
Data: Google Sheets (I live my life through it), ML, Python, SQL, R
Design: Prototyping/wireframing (Figma/Sketch), Adobe CS, User research (ethnographic), UX, UI
Engineering: JS (React, TS, GraphQL, Redux), testing (TDD, react-testing-library, Jest, Enzyme), CSS (responsive, Styled-Components), Agile
- Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Award, 2017
- Rising Stars of Research Symposium Member, Durham University, 2016
- Blueprint Enterprise Challenge, Durham University, 2016
- Genesis Pitching Competition, 2016
- Enterprise Kickstart Winner, Durham University Enterprise Society, 2015
- Best Website Award, Meat Management Magazine, 2012
🤷♂️ About Me
I regularly attend PM conferences & meet-ups (Elevate, Product School). I keep up to speed with PM best-practice through online learning and blogs/newsletters.
I've always got a personal project on the go; currently, I'm building a fantasy football team-building AI and the tool that made this CV. I regularly attend developer meet-ups (React London, GitHub Universe, Next Conf).
I love board games, quizzes, cryptic crosswords, and cats. I'm a runner (first marathon should have been in December), cyclist, rock climber, and dancer (1st place university circuit). I sing and am a multi-instrumentalist.